Call or Text Anytime 636-940-1111


Can You Get a Missouri Traffic Ticket Fixed if You Are From Out of State?

Posted by Ruth Beerup | Mar 24, 2022 | 0 Comments

It is possible to have most minor traffic tickets in Missouri amended, even if you live out of state. This includes tickets for stop sign/electric signal violations, speeding under 20 mph, no insurance, improper turn, lane change, and following too closely. Most CDL tickets can be handled by an attorney without requiring you to appear in court, but an amendment is not always possible. More serious tickets like driving while suspended/revoked, careless and imprudent driving, high speed (more than 20 mph over the limit), and driving while intoxicated can be amended or reduced on a case by case basis, but the process is complicated, the outcome is not assured, and it will be expensive.  

Will You Need To Attend Court?

You most likely will not need to come back to Missouri for court if you hire a lawyer to get your minor traffic ticket fixed. The lawyer will attend court or negotiate with the prosecutor out of court for you. Missouri has a point system for traffic tickets, and the lawyer will be looking to get your ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point violation that won't affect your driving record. There will be a fine for the ticket, and the lawyer will send you instructions on how to pay. It really is that simple!

Tickets for drivers with a commercial driver's license are a little trickier to care of. Anti-masking laws make it so that not every CDL ticket can be amended. Often, a commercial driver is just looking to avoid returning to Missouri for a court date, and a lawyer can make that appearance on the driver's behalf in most cases.

More serious tickets might require a court appearance. Your lawyer can try to arrange for the matter to be resolved without you having to come back to Missouri, but sometimes this is not possible. Your best bet to avoid a return trip is to hire an experienced attorney who knows how to get things done.

Will It Affect Your License In Your Home State?

Traffic laws vary from state to state. It is important to hire a lawyer who understands reciprocity. For instance, some jurisdictions in Missouri will amend a high-speed ticket to a speeding 1-5 mph over. This works for someone with a Missouri license because speeding 1-5 over is a no-point violation in Missouri. Illinois has a different system and speeding 1-5 over is a point violation there. A lawyer doesn't need to know the ins and outs of every traffic law in every state, but it is important that they have experience dealing with out-of-state tickets and know which issues to look for. 

Which Parts of Missouri Does Beerup Law Cover?

Beerup Law's practice covers the St. Louis area. This includes St. Louis, St. Charles, and Lincoln Counties and some jurisdictions in Warren, Jefferson, and Franklin Counties. If you have tickets outside of those areas, don't hesitate to give Ruth a call. She has been practicing for over 25 years, and she has built up a network of attornies across the state that she trusts. She will be more than happy to refer you to a lawyer she knows will handle your case with the same care she would. 

About the Author

Ruth Beerup

If you've been accused of committing a crime or violating traffic laws, it is essential that you obtain legal support from a St. Charles attorney you trust. Ruth Beerup is a great advocate to have on your side; a talented attorney with a great track record, she boasts both the knowledge and deter...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Case evaluations are free and you will always talk directly with Ruth. She can tell you exactly what charges you are facing and give you some options on how to deal with them. So, even if you don’t hire her for your case, you can still get a better understanding of your situation. Call 636-940-1111 now.