Call or Text Anytime 636-940-1111


How to Get a Stop Sign Ticket Dismissed in Missouri

Posted by Ruth Beerup | Jul 27, 2023 | 0 Comments

Police car parked by stop sign

Getting a stop sign/stop light ticket dismissed takes work. Putting your word against a police officer in court is a losing proposition. To have any luck, you will need solid video evidence. Best is dashcam footage that shows the entirety of the incident, including the officer pulling you over. The video will, of course, need to establish that you came to a complete stop at the sign or light. Alternatively, you might win your case if you have a video showing the light malfunctioning or the stop sign was significantly obscured. 

You could experience difficulty even if you have this proof. You will need to contact the prosecutor before court to request they review your evidence. Showing up for your court date and hoping to show your video is probably hit or miss. A lawyer will know how to get the evidence in front of the prosecutor and negotiate for dismissal, so hiring one should be inexpensive and worth the money.

What If You Don't Have Evidence?

Even if you don't have conclusive evidence that you stopped (and very few people do), you can still avoid some of the consequences. A traffic lawyer can negotiate with the prosecutor to amend the charge to a non-moving violation like parking. This type of charge will not be reported to the Department of Revenue, so you will not get points, and the ticket will not appear on your driving record. There will still be a fine from the court, however.

What If There Was an Accident?

A stop sign/stop light ticket with an accident is more difficult to have amended. The process for dismissal is the same; you need conclusive proof and should hire a lawyer to make sure it is presented to the right people in the right way. An amendment is more complicated.

The prosecutor will require that you provide proof that you were insured at the time of the accident before they will amend the ticket. They will want to know that all damages are paid for before proceeding. A lawyer can coordinate the exchange of information between you and the prosecutor and negotiate an amendment to a non-moving charge. 

You should contact the Department of Revenue if you have an accident while not insured. The DOR can suspend your license for unpaid damages. You will need to talk directly to a DOR representative to enter into an arrangement to pay for the damages and avoid a license suspension.

About the Author

Ruth Beerup

If you've been accused of committing a crime or violating traffic laws, it is essential that you obtain legal support from a St. Charles attorney you trust. Ruth Beerup is a great advocate to have on your side; a talented attorney with a great track record, she boasts both the knowledge and deter...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Case evaluations are free and you will always talk directly with Ruth. She can tell you exactly what charges you are facing and give you some options on how to deal with them. So, even if you don’t hire her for your case, you can still get a better understanding of your situation. Call 636-940-1111 now.