Call or Text Anytime 636-940-1111


How to Get a Speeding Ticket Off Your Record in Missouri

Posted by Ruth Beerup | Apr 28, 2023 | 0 Comments

When people ask, “How can I get a speeding ticket off my record” they usually mean one of three things:

  1. I recently pleaded guilty to a speeding ticket and would like to have it changed to a no-point violation that will not go on my record. 
  2. I have a speeding ticket that is not yet resolved that I would like to have amended to a no-point violation.
  3. I have old tickets I pleaded guilty to that I would like taken off my record. 

An attorney specializing in traffic law can usually do something about these situations. Let's talk about each in turn.

Recent Guilty Plea

Occasionally, someone will plead guilty to a traffic ticket without realizing the consequences beforehand. Whether it is a significant increase in insurance premiums, repercussions at work, or a point suspension, sometimes pleading guilty to a traffic ticket can have a much larger impact than anticipated. The good news is that the problem is correctable. 

An attorney can file a motion to withdraw a guilty plea, provided the ticket is not too old. The attorney will convince the court to remove the conviction and “start over.” The attorney can then proceed to get an amendment to a no-point violation.  

Unresolved Traffic Tickets

A traffic attorney can usually negotiate with a prosecutor to arrange for unresolved traffic tickets to be amended to no-point violations that will not appear on your record. There can be exceptions, like when the speed is over 100 mph, but in most cases, the attorney can make sure your record stays clean. They can do this even if you missed the court date or have a warrant. 

Removing Old Tickets From Your Record

The Missouri Department of Revenue allows for old tickets to be removed from a driver's record. Tickets can be removed three years after conviction unless the points from the ticket contributed to a suspension or revocation. Those citations can be removed five years after the end of the suspension or revocation. 

Not all tickets can be removed. No insurance tickets, driving while suspended, and DWI arrests, among others, cannot be removed. Having a CDL can also complicate the removal process. 

There is usually no need to hire an attorney with this process. You can contact the DOR by email at [email protected], by phone at 573-526-2407, or by mail at:

Missouri Department of Revenue

301 West High Street

P.O. Box 200

Jefferson City, MO 65105-0200

Make sure to include your full name and driver's license number or social security number when contacting the DOR. 

About the Author

Ruth Beerup

If you've been accused of committing a crime or violating traffic laws, it is essential that you obtain legal support from a St. Charles attorney you trust. Ruth Beerup is a great advocate to have on your side; a talented attorney with a great track record, she boasts both the knowledge and deter...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Case evaluations are free and you will always talk directly with Ruth. She can tell you exactly what charges you are facing and give you some options on how to deal with them. So, even if you don’t hire her for your case, you can still get a better understanding of your situation. Call 636-940-1111 now.